A letter from ECE's Founder, Dan Walter

Hi Everyone:

Recently there was a question regarding whether a link to an article should be removed from the ECE site due to incomplete and possible erroneous information.  Since it has been a while since I have done this, I wanted to re-clarify the purpose of the ECE.

The ECE was created for two reasons.

1) Help drive the evolution of equity compensation programs.

• This goal requires interactivity, discussion and solutions.  I believe the ECE has been growing well in this area. Providers are posting their information.  Professionals are reading articles and, where justified, proving comments.

2) Serve as a resource for information on equity compensation.

• It is our goal to provide ALL information we can find.  The ECE post more articles, links calendar events and presentations than any other group or professional organization for our industry.  Things are posted regardless if they are fantastic, average, on the edge, disputed or just plain wrong.  We cannot evolve our industry if we are unaware of what is happening with it.  This means that often articles are posted that contain erroneous information, processes or controversial opinions.  As ECE members I believe it is each of our responsibility to point out the errors and help get them corrected. 

To the extent that is done via a comment on the ECE site…excellent.  At least other ECE members will have a better understanding of the facts *(imagine if an ECE member who did not know any better used one of these wrong resources without other members input).  To the extent that we can provide comment to the source and perhaps even get them to correct their material…even better.

I NEVER want an ECE member to avoid posting or commenting because they feel they do not have the background, education or expertise on a topic.  Everyone in this group should, and must, feel that it is a place where professionals want to know things and professionals will be willing to share their thoughts, opinions and expertise.

So, if you see something out there in the world and believe it shines either a good light or bad light on out industry, please post it.  If you see something on the ECE site that you believe is wrong, or that you disagree with, please comment on it. 

The world of equity is not always black and white.  Where you believe you have a clear answer, provide it.  Where you look at things from a different perspective, share it.

Lastly, use anything on this site, or any other site, without first reviewing it with your own experts.  In my more than 15 years in this industry I have seen far too many occasions where there were more than one “right” answer to a question.

Feel free to email me directly with any comments, or, even better, post them on the site.

Thanks,

Dan Walter

ECE Founder

+1-415-625-3406

dwalter@performensation.com

President and CEO

Performensation

www.performensation.com

Replies to this Topic

Just noticed tat there is a typo in the second to the last paragraph of this diatribe!

it should read:

Lastly, NEVER use anything on this site, or any other site, without first reviewing it with your own experts.  In my more than 15 years in this industry I have seen far too many occasions where there were more than one “right” answer to a question.

Hello,

I still think there ought to be a disclaimer on the actual website about using materials found on ECE and how prudent it is to validate it with the "experts." Over time this discussion will fade under the horizon.

Done.  Please see the main page for our new disclaimer.

You are a gentleman and a scholar! Don't try to deny it!

You must be logged in and a member of this Groupsite in order to post a reply to this topic.
To post a reply, contact your group manager(s) Join this Groupsite

ECE - Equity Compensation Experts